I miss all those who left us in 2014, and one who stayed just long enough to share a son’s achievement and remind us to go Liberally into 2015.
I especially miss those still here, but only on camera, and those activists only death could deactivate, whose lives are our education of how to advocate for each other.
I miss Mom & Dad, as I do my Grandmamma and Uncle Gino who crossed the bar long before. I miss how they could educate with such magnitude in a single phrase — no adjectives or adverbs needed for this quintet, except Mom of course and later her protégé, me.
For my family it was, out with the old and in with the new, while others, complain, “Why should I have to push one for English?”
I know letting go is scary especially for conservative hearts and minds, but like indicting war criminals, it may prove to be our only hope to succeed at breathing healing life into a conflicted America.
I miss all those gone much too soon, because a toy gun was just too enticing, and a real one too handy.
With the faith to dream, arms spread to embrace, minds open to truth and our mind’s eye focused on the horizon where, barely visible stands the glory of Justice for All, waiting for us to grasp it, as our weapon of choice.
What of past promises for a day, a life, a planet where new ideas, even thinking for ourselves is restored? For that, peace and hope need be liberally spread to evolve the nation.
Until then, the lies we tell ourselves will keep some in denial:
- Seeing homes buried in feet of snow, as disproving Climate Change
- Watching towns and lives tornado twisted thinking Global Warming is a hoax
- Antagonistic partnering of corporatism and those in government using militarized law enforcement to protect cash flow status quo
- Believing there is no need to fix a society that cannot embrace American diversities as enlightening universities
- Denying our nation the natural benefits of immense historic contribution from hyphenated citizens we continue to deem second class in nature: women, African-Americans, Latino-Americans, Asian-Americans, Italian-Americans – we descendants of immigrants forgetting, most of our ancestors chose America to make a difference, as did Native Americans, before us, and African-Americans after Emancipation.
I love our country and cherish our U. S. Constitution, particularly when we don’t practice what it preaches, but abusing it for profit reaches the darkest depths of hypocrisy, and manipulating The Bill of Rights for political gain, the very underbelly of patriotism.
Our National and Coast Guards are our 21st century “Well Regulated Militia” Minute Men, and not Tea Party extremists sanctioning an Open Carry wannabe Police State.
On the rise, are Flu and corporate greed infecting politicians with corruption, yet we elect those who think the poor and less fortunate should be exterminated.
American Ebola, gas prices and morale are down, yet we vote for Wall Street’s Keystone bottom line, rather than love thy neighbor as thyself.
America isn’t too big to fail, while we accept top heavy Too Big to Jail re-construction of Capitalism. Our future can only stand its ground when the responsibilities of freedom, liberty, justice and paying taxes are supported equally by all pillars of society’s foundation.
Now in harmonious declaration, can we, in thanksgiving celebrate the memories of lives that still impact America….
- Governor Mario Cuomo
- Gun Control Advocate James Brady
- Progressive Democrats of America Tim Carpenter
- If I had a Hammer Pete Seeger
- Watergate/Post Ben Bradlee
- Master Poet, and Master human being Maya Angelou
- Robin Williams & Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Elaine Stritch & Lauren Bacall
- Mickey Rooney & Eli Wallach
- Ruby Dee & Shirley Temple
- Harold Ramis & Bob Hoskins
- James Garner, Ann B. Davis, James Rebhorn & Edward Herrmann
- Comedians Sid Caesar & Joan Rivers
- Eileen Ford and singers Joe Cocker & Jerry Vale
- Boxer Rubin Hurricane Carter
- Rafael Ramos, Wenjian Liu, Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, Eric Garner and Tamir Rice
- affirming I will go, I shall go, to see what our new beginning will be.