March 2015 was in like a lion and out like a pride fattened on racism, uniformed weapons and counting down the final minutes of life – and we can’t screen swipe away the losses, whether natural causes, state sanctioned discrimination or mass murder.
Diminished by Wall Street banks, perpetual wars, private prisons, and Corporatism’s financial takeover of electoral process, we are vulnerable to fear, mental health stigma, government denied food stamps, MIA Medicaid and Christians shaming Christianity in the secrets and lies of back room political idolatry, denying what Jesus promised in The Sermon on the Mount.
The question is not why innocents die, schizophrenic weather is, or non-thinkers vote against love. It’s
- Can hope blossom from toxins dumped by reactionary Industry leaders, continuing to erase FDR’s reversal of The Great Depression, with their slow erosion of The New Deal.
- Can we virtually resurrect reverie from rear end rectories and retro state rectums refusing Rainbow reunification?
- Can hope survive our being seduced into an all-consuming state of consumerism?
- Can we imagine Lincoln’s united nation dream connecting our American Dream to hope of I Have a Dream?
Does hope evaporate in the glare of the 245/277 Park Ave aggrandized few looking down on the many, as surfs in the new continental divide? Where’s the hope for us?
- In any vote against state of miss-information and gridlock.
- In not being derailed by railroads or Robber Barons between our Civil War and WWII
- In our grand-parents and their parents resisting the private militias (with great armories of munitions in American city arsenals) employed by household names like Prescott Bush, The DuPont family, General Motors, U. S. Steel, Republic Steel and Charles & David benefactor, Fred C. Koch, to defend their bottom line from those who really built it – and immolating our predecessors victories.
- In genes that come from The Greatest Black, Brown, White, Yellow, Red, Protestant, Catholic, Jewish, Gentile, Muslim, Male, Female, Democratic Republican, Religious, Agnostic, Atheistic, Straight and LGBTQ Generation
Our 2015 DNA is linked to Founding Fathers, shoeless farmers at Valley Forge, Lincoln’s emancipated, 9/11 first responders as well as survivors of dust bowls, bread lines and Normandy beaches.
Hope springs eternal from belief in human rights, human beings, human kindness –
And the outreach example of humanity’s life changing Mentors:
- Wearing yellow for Seth
- The outcry over a grandfather visiting from India being attacked by police for walking down the street
- A female school bus driver saving her child riders from fire
- Teachers saving students from Sandy Hook to Oklahoma tornadoes
We need to choose carefully in whom and what we place our hope, for we can be propelled or suffocated by our hoped for direction.
It is for us, the hopeful, to lead by a transparent example of zero-tolerance for any kind of discrimination, bias, prejudice, be it inequitable economic opportunity, ERA denied ratification, police brutality, campus and military rape, racial chants or any elected official targeting the LGBT, or any American community, by signing into law the reversal of what young non-violent black activists challenged to prove America’s Exceptionalism, at the Woolworth Lunch Counter in 1960.
It’s hope that drives the entrepreneurial creative artists of Apple, Angie’s List, Disciples Of Christ Church, GAP, Lilly, NASCAR, NBA, NCAA, NIKE, OWS, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Walmart — Alice Paul, Rosa Parks, Gloria Steinem, Senator Elizabeth Warren — to insist on progressive equality.
The question is not why we crash. It’s how to embrace diversity, behaving lovingly, knowing death comes to us all, but hope for time united, may yet await us, in Requiem for The American Dream.