What if Iran-Contra saint had blessed Donald Trump’s invocation to advocate the art of the nuclear deal between the Soviet Union and Government is the Problem creator?
Imagine a self-serving Congress, dominated by men terrified of a shady dealing vengeful dictator of an Obstruction of Justice email, hellbent on launching a missile attack on congressional healthcare, erected a firewall of invested investigations to cure ALS, Alzheimer’s and Medicaid for America’s human bookends: children and Seniors.
Maybe Frank Capra’s DC existed periodically, but World Wars and a Cold War produced a New World Order with a Foggy Bottom evacuating with abnormal frequency, a Military Industrial Complex.
So who wouldn’t be concerned about an ‘unpresidented,’ president sipping ‘covfefe’ atop the throne of our Democratic Republic – evidently 30% of us!
After 1917 and WWI Mustard gas, a call for morality, even in war, began its long journey on the, we can’t beat God giving, road to glory. A hundred years later, however, Good Samaritans are out gunned and every hero, demon challenged — nonetheless, we persist.
Even in the age of, Swamp Thing, we have heroes: Senators Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski; Congresswoman Maxine Waters — Sally Yates, Marilyn Nance, J.K. Rowling and Ida B. Wells.
However, knowledge is still Intel: In July 1950 of The Unknown War, American soldiers killed hundreds of Korean civilians near a village called No Gun Ri — and throughout Truman’s Police Action, over two million North Korean civilians were killed – thus, as the Treaty of Versailles created Hitler, we created Kim Jong-Un.
Arguably, we hold these truths to be self-evident: a nation’s Moral Code is only as strong as its people’s weakest link…
- Alt-Right, hellfire bent on spinning Obama global view off our world stage
- Those insisting America is for only white Christian men, honor flags that dishonor our Constitution, while genuflecting America before statues of anti-America Americans – savoring memories of the inhumane owning and defiling of fellow human beings
- Denying ratification of Equal Rights Amendment; twirling Elizbeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony and Alice Paul like trinkets on display, then laid to rest in gender inequality
- Diminishing LGBTQ while they preserve, protect and defend, non-existent full citizenship, income parity, voting and pursuit of loving happiness privileges
- In a land where prisons are for profit, from classrooms to cells is too great a student debt – and banning former felons from voting booths, an American defining moment
Yet, for a century, life at war with itself has tried to bestow this wisdom upon us: there is little sustainable profit in the business of anger and oppression, but where there is individual fear and envy, anger and oppression cannot be silenced – merely inconsistently, contained
Whether Wall, K or Main Street; rich or poor, rural, suburbs or inner city, gay, straight or undecided — Americans, citizens and non, have been herded to the pinnacle of, Trump ordered brutality Bluff – and staring back at us across the abyss, are Kim Jung-un clones, toeing the line for suicide by dictate.
Vision blurred by pride and miss-placed loyalty, each side has forgotten, world history is replete with shortsighted leaders threatening all life on earth — each side shadowed by real and imagined demons, risk being thrust into the void, to control a planet we’ve rendered, out of control.
Imagine our moral call is the last call to save us from a hell fire inflicted by demands for, unchartered waters, while denying the warnings of melting icebergs and rising oceans.
In 2017 America, who can we expect to make the moral call, American Mayors or Trumpcare?
Timing is Divine and often, auspiciously, makes heroes, even saints, out of mere mortals…
- William Robertson Coe, philanthropist for the academic discipline of American Studies
- Even heroes who are not of the world, even as I am not of it
Most Americans, have always worked hard to get ahead, but if you weren’t as pale as Andrew Jackson, you had to run faster and slave longer to be acknowledged: hero.
Not so for Groper-in-Chief proponent of foxy sexual harassment, walled in by conflicts of interest, threatening affordable healthcare and scientific discovery shutdown.
Whether shouting from baseball stands, religious altars, white hoods or Bully Pulpit, mocking or demeaning others is the act of cowards with horrific potential and tragic probability.
Yet, we still walk among heroes — in classrooms, hospitals and neighborhoods; in the aftermath of tornadoes, hurricanes and floods — good Samaritans clothed as strangers, saving us from the reality of erratic humans and weather extremes.
Though a nation too steeped in denial and consumed by belly-up fear, spun by spin: hot-air, broken promises and past glories, blowing in our face like ice cycles in Spring, no divider-in-chief can wall in American heroism, if women, children, scientists, educators, activists, surgeons general, attorneys general and peaceful protesters advocate for reason, equal justice for all, renewable energy, clean air & water, free public education and a financially secure EPA – knowing true heroes rally to save — not incite to riot.
Heroes are rarely loud or torturous or self-aggrandizing; rarely thinking themselves superior or even worthy. They are teachers & nurses, doctors & lawyers, the insightful friend — and stranger just in the nick of time.
Yet, heroes aren’t only those saving families in trapped cars, breathing life anew into infants, but are the daily bread care propelling us forward, in melodic ensemble: there’s a better world a-coming.
Now we petition, march and campaign to renew elections with an informed electorate. We must be risk-taking heroes for our children because their children are depending on it.
We are the descendants of depression, inheritors of progressive winds and stewards of the immigration legacies of legends. Heroes and immigrants, come in all sizes, shapes, shades and sexes — but where there are dreamers, there are detractors; where the best & the brightest, also fear of change; where innovative ideas, old habits; where God Bless America, assassinations in the streets; where just say no, fatted calf feasts for drug lords; where genius, envy; outreach, duck & cover — for every protagonist, an antagonist and every hero, a villain – where heroes seek balance, cowards create chaos.
Despite a James Comey two-step or POTUS MIA side-stepping, Not the White House Correspondences Dinner, broadcast chambers maintain empty barrels, oblivious to America’s greatness is in the kindness of strangers, mentors and Nature.
- White Congressional males or Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, Clara Barton, Hetty Green, Hellen Keller & her teacher Anne Sullivan, Frances Perkins, Georgia O’Keeffe, Amelia Earhart, Marion Anderson, Rosa Parks, Martha Raye, Katherine Graham, Ella Fitzgerald, Nancy Reagan, Shirley Chisholm, Maya Angelou, Audrey Hepburn, Coretta Scott King, Madeleine Albright, Hillary Clinton, Oprah, Simone Manuel, Simone Biles and Ruth Bader Ginsburg?
- Newborn William Billy Kimmel’s doctors, nurses and scientists who develop ways to save the lives of babies and the elderly or Climate deniers
May 1884, Moses Fleetwood Walker squatted to catch baseball fans off guard. Seven years before Tax Day was knocked out of the Ides of March, Jackie Robinson stole bases in 1947 almost as fast as a 1936 Buckeye Bullet winning four Olympic gold medals.
Yet we still need Sam Cooke and Woody Guthrie lyrics to apologize to Adam Jones – but I know, a change is gonna come, oh yes, it is.
Since, Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country, the GOP has diminished equality for non-whites, non-males, non-straights and non-documented American dreams.
Caveat Emptor: Halliburton gulf oil deaths, Pharmaceutical price hikes and Healthcare that denies covering pre-existing conditions.
We choose who we honor as heroes:
- Mike Flynn or Desmond Doss who earned his Medal of Honor by saving 75 wounded at Hacksaw Ridge?
- Donald Trump or Jimmy Kimmel?
MOBs don’t fire honor and too often, America’s forgotten heroes are women.