Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg
Most Americans, have always worked hard to get ahead, but if you weren’t as pale as Andrew Jackson, you had to run faster and slave longer to be acknowledged: hero.
Not so for Groper-in-Chief proponent of foxy sexual harassment, walled in by conflicts of interest, threatening affordable healthcare and scientific discovery shutdown.
Whether shouting from baseball stands, religious altars, white hoods or Bully Pulpit, mocking or demeaning others is the act of cowards with horrific potential and tragic probability.
Yet, we still walk among heroes — in classrooms, hospitals and neighborhoods; in the aftermath of tornadoes, hurricanes and floods — good Samaritans clothed as strangers, saving us from the reality of erratic humans and weather extremes.
Though a nation too steeped in denial and consumed by belly-up fear, spun by spin: hot-air, broken promises and past glories, blowing in our face like ice cycles in Spring, no divider-in-chief can wall in American heroism, if women, children, scientists, educators, activists, surgeons general, attorneys general and peaceful protesters advocate for reason, equal justice for all, renewable energy, clean air & water, free public education and a financially secure EPA – knowing true heroes rally to save — not incite to riot.
Heroes are rarely loud or torturous or self-aggrandizing; rarely thinking themselves superior or even worthy. They are teachers & nurses, doctors & lawyers, the insightful friend — and stranger just in the nick of time.
Yet, heroes aren’t only those saving families in trapped cars, breathing life anew into infants, but are the daily bread care propelling us forward, in melodic ensemble: there’s a better world a-coming.
Now we petition, march and campaign to renew elections with an informed electorate. We must be risk-taking heroes for our children because their children are depending on it.
We are the descendants of depression, inheritors of progressive winds and stewards of the immigration legacies of legends. Heroes and immigrants, come in all sizes, shapes, shades and sexes — but where there are dreamers, there are detractors; where the best & the brightest, also fear of change; where innovative ideas, old habits; where God Bless America, assassinations in the streets; where just say no, fatted calf feasts for drug lords; where genius, envy; outreach, duck & cover — for every protagonist, an antagonist and every hero, a villain – where heroes seek balance, cowards create chaos.
Despite a James Comey two-step or POTUS MIA side-stepping, Not the White House Correspondences Dinner, broadcast chambers maintain empty barrels, oblivious to America’s greatness is in the kindness of strangers, mentors and Nature.
- White Congressional males or Sojourner Truth, Harriet Tubman, Clara Barton, Hetty Green, Hellen Keller & her teacher Anne Sullivan, Frances Perkins, Georgia O’Keeffe, Amelia Earhart, Marion Anderson, Rosa Parks, Martha Raye, Katherine Graham, Ella Fitzgerald, Nancy Reagan, Shirley Chisholm, Maya Angelou, Audrey Hepburn, Coretta Scott King, Madeleine Albright, Hillary Clinton, Oprah, Simone Manuel, Simone Biles and Ruth Bader Ginsburg?
- Newborn William Billy Kimmel’s doctors, nurses and scientists who develop ways to save the lives of babies and the elderly or Climate deniers
May 1884, Moses Fleetwood Walker squatted to catch baseball fans off guard. Seven years before Tax Day was knocked out of the Ides of March, Jackie Robinson stole bases in 1947 almost as fast as a 1936 Buckeye Bullet winning four Olympic gold medals.
Yet we still need Sam Cooke and Woody Guthrie lyrics to apologize to Adam Jones – but I know, a change is gonna come, oh yes, it is.
Since, Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country, the GOP has diminished equality for non-whites, non-males, non-straights and non-documented American dreams.
Caveat Emptor: Halliburton gulf oil deaths, Pharmaceutical price hikes and Healthcare that denies covering pre-existing conditions.
We choose who we honor as heroes:
- Mike Flynn or Desmond Doss who earned his Medal of Honor by saving 75 wounded at Hacksaw Ridge?
- Donald Trump or Jimmy Kimmel?
MOBs don’t fire honor and too often, America’s forgotten heroes are women.
- Conservatives, largely silent about street weapons of mass destruction
- Governor and Mayor pass out pabulum band-aide as soothing, consoling patch for a horrific wound to those drowning in grief before funerals and moving on, without
- Police shootings of black men in Baton Rouge and Minnesota largely pushed to back burners to simmer while the main Media course Terror in Dallas is brought to boil, repeatedly
- MIA, Wayne LaPierre’s madness, Only Way To Stop A Bad Guy With A Gun Is With A Good Guy With A Gun — all five Dallas police officers were good men with guns, protecting good Americans in Peaceful Assembly
The commonality of sniper fire, mass shootings, gang bangers, foreign wars, police brutality, community fear and NRA bottom-line, lining political pockets is: guns. The cure: hope, trust, faith voting political backbone to overcome special interests.
In unity, we party then weep; play then pray – longing to wash away the epidemic violence of a ranting few with the generous voting common sense of the many.
It’s not just Dallas, Minnesota and Louisiana; not just police killing African-Americans; not just African-Americans shooting police. It’s a constitutional mind-set derived by agendas addicted to profiting from destructive human behavior. It’s not just Conservatism’s Dark Side, but programmed biases ingested into our Hedonic Hot Spots – from handheld devices.
It’s not just about the Bush/Cheney Wall Street induced Great Recession, it’s about defining ourselves by the number of dollars at our disposal.
It’s not just about bigger, better, faster, for what value is being the most advanced country technologically, if our global communications fail to embrace different cultures and points of view.
It’s about getting beyond being statistics:
- More white people killed the twenty-six police who died in the line of duty in 2016, while 136 black people were shot by police in the same 191 days
- More black people were killed by US police in 2015 than were lynched in the worst year of Jim Crow
America is not just about statistics for media hype, The Census for Gerrymandering, Madison Ave analysis for addictive ads that hook us on over consumerism – and while elections are not just about exit polling, exit polling is about our Media trampling over, those who are first will be last.
It’s not just about Texas Open Carry and Paul Ryan’s GOP tap dancing to an oldie but baddie NRA refrain.
It’s about political leaders being elected for solutions, but too many, like Congress and retrograde Roberts & Alito justice, are offering up a pittance of lowering the flag, moments of silence and condolence clichés, while gutting the Voting Rights Act, voting for Citizens United and ignoring this truth: the shared commonality between Newtown’s Sandy Hook, Charleston’s Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, Richmond Virginia’s TV reporters, Alton Sterling, Philando Castile and Terror in Dallas is: guns.
It’s not just violence of any kind is more than political opportunity to huddle and scramble for the perfect words, because for multiple death from gun violence, there are no words.
It’s either about being color blind, preserving the mental health, economic stability and individual security of all human life, or being accomplices after the fact to numeric few attempting a takeover of The Land still trying to breathe Free.
It’s not about the size of our arsenal defining our manhood. It’s about needing cold water in our faces to warm our hearts and awaken our brains: Zika Virus, ISIS, and Climate Change denial are the real potential pandemics.
The fear of being left behind, oppressed and forgotten, can only be defeated by our collective spirit of reason, denying denial of truth and dismissing from power, the powers who need foreign wars and seed domestic violence.
- Instead of allowing 24/7 Media to program us into believing America is a polarized nation, attend meetings of diverse local groups, and listen
- Know that bullets will never defeat the powers that steal our hope – but ballots can
- In peaceful assembly, start walking in city streets; silently, allows the non-violent presence of your numbers to be the message
- Make certain all races, ages, ethnicities and sexual preferences are encouraged to walk with you